Tourism is a numbers game, and more isn’t always better (as Barcelona and Iceland will tell you). Travel has almost doubled in less than 20 years.
I want to start a new series that looks at the intersection of luxury travel and sustainable tourism. Connecting the dots from my work at the U.S. Mission to UNESCO, my extensive experience with marketing in the luxury travel space, my love for luxury hotels, my academic training in international development and the law, and my passion for the world’s cultures and social enterprises, I want to:
1) Highlight why sustainable tourism matters;
2) Break down the various definitions of sustainable tourism;
3) Shed light on the core tenets of sustainability;
4) Explore sustainability from a luxury travel lens; and
5) Provide insight on how the luxury travel space, both businesses and consumers, can positively contribute to the movement.